- 4 lbs. bacon joint (preferably loin)
- 2 Large Onions, roughly cut
- 2 Carrots, roughly chopped
- 2 Ribs of Celery, roughly chopped
- 2 Bay leaves
- 1 Large cabbage, cuts into eight sections
- 2 T. Honey
- 2 T. Wholegrain mustard
- 1/8 t. ground cloves
- Unsalted Chicken Stock (or water)
- 1/4 C. butter
- 1/4 C. Flour
- 2 C. Milk
- 1 Cup fresh chopped parsley
- Salt and White Pepper to taste
Prep: 20 mins | Cook: 1 hour 10 mins
- for the cabbage and bacon: In a large stock pot, add the first 6 ingredients, using enough water to covers the bacon joint. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Allow to cook for 45 minutes, skimming off any white foam that comes to surface.
- Remove the bacon joint VERY gently from the liquid, then discard stock and vegetables. Add bacon back to pot, along with cabbage sections, honey, mustard, and cloves. Add enough chicken stock to just barely cover all. Cook at a low heat (just below simmer) with lid on, until cabbage is very soft, about 25-35 minutes.
- For the Parsley Sauce: Melt butter in saucepan at medium heat, then add flour to make a roux. Whisk to incorporate flour fully. Add milk, and whisk thoroughly until thickened. Remove from heat, then add parsley, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Plating: Place even portions of bacon, and a wedge of cabbage on each plate. Pour parsley sauce over cabbage and bacon. Serve with mashed potatoes, and you have a truly wonderful meal!
CookTime: 70 Minutes | PrepTime: | TotalTime: 0