- 3 – 4 cans of American Domestic beer (Coors(R) or Bud(R))
- 1 packet of JOHNSONVILLE(R) Brats (or any other quality Brat)
- 1 – 2 cups of BROWN sugar
- 2 large onions
Prep: 20 mins | Cook: 30 mins
- Bring the beer to a boil in a large cooking pot. I have found that the lighter American beers (Budweiser, Coors etc) work much better that thicker stronger British beers. Slice the onions and put them and the BROWN sugar into the cooking pot. I use two cups of sugar, but the original recipe used less. Stir and let the pot bubble away until the sugar melts and the onions start to go brown and soft (do not be put off by the smell at this stage!). Then put in the Brats for about 10 – 15 minutes, making sure they are covered. When they are cooked, put them on the barbeque (medium heat) until they are brown all over. These sausages taste better if they are slow cooked and constantly rotated. As such, tend them at this stage. When they are nicely browned, put them back in the beer/onion/sugar and let simmer for 5 – 10 more minutes.
- Serve the above on a roll with a smear of mayonnaise and a light honey mustard. DELICIOUS!