- 1lb coarse whole wheat flour
- 6 oz plain white flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¾ pint buttermilk (approx.)
Prep: 5 mins | Cook: 45 mins
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Prepare a baking tray by dusting lightly with plain flour.
- Mix together the dry ingredients, then add the buttermilk, gently stirring until just mixed together. If the dough feels stiff or dry, add a bit more buttermilk. It should be a fairly soft and wet dough
- Form into a round on the baking tray, then cut a cross in the top with a buttered knife.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until bread is browned, and sounds hollow when tapped. (Note: if you do not like a hard crust, place a pan of hot water on the rack in the oven under your bread. This will keep the crust soft.