- 1 1/2 cups oil
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 3 onions, chopped
- 1 small bell pepper or 1/2 large bell pepper, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 (15 1/4 ounce) cans whole kernel corn, drained
- 3 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can Rotel(R) tomatoes with green chilies
- 1/2 bunch green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup parsley flakes
- 1 gallon water
- 3 pounds peeled medium shrimp
- Salt and pepper to taste
Prep: 15 mins | Cook: 1 hour 50 mins
- Combine oil and flour in a large saucepan over medium to medium-high heat to make a roux. Cook, stirring constantly to keep the roux from breaking, until the roux is medium-brown and glossy.
- When roux is brown, add onions, bell peppers, and celery. Sauté for about 5 minutes or until tender, stirring often so roux won’t stick, then add chopped garlic. Sauté for about 3 more minutes.
- Next, add corn, tomato sauce, tomatoes, green onions, parsley, and water. Bring to a boil, then allow to simmer for about 1 hour. Add shrimp, salt, and pepper. Let it cook over low heat for about 20 more minutes.
- Finally, skim off excess oil and let cool slightly.