- 1/3 cupgood olive oil
- 1/2 cupbutter (divided)
- 1yellow onion
- 3 clovesgarlic
- 1/2 teaspoonoregano
- 1/2 teaspoonbasil
- 1/4 teaspoonground white pepper
- red pepper flakes, to taste
- salt and pepper, to taset
- 1 poundpasta (I like penne)
- Parmesan cheese, to garnish
Prep: 5 mins | Cook: 15 mins
- Cook pasta per package. While cooking prepare sauce.
- For sauce: heat pan over medium heat, add olive oil, 1/2 of butter and onions to pan. Cook until tender, about 4 minutes.
- Add garlic, oregano, basil, white pepper, red pepper to taste, and salt and pepper to taste. Heat through for 2 to 3 minutes. Whisk in remaining butter to add slight thickness to sauce.
- Place pasta in large serving bowl (now I like to add a little flaked kosher salt to the pasta, but this is not necessary), sprinkle liberally with Parmesan cheese, toss.
- Add vegetables to pasta and toss again. Serve immediately with additional Parmesan on the side.
This dish is very versatile, during the last couple minutes of heating the sauce, you can add any of the following, shredded chicken, beef, pork or lamb, shrimp, a can of clams (juice and all), scungilli (conch), flaked fish, mushrooms, fresh or canned tomatoes or almost anything you have handy in the kitchen. The more different things you try the more you will learn to love this recipe. Great for vegetarians (substitute butter).