- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup oil or bacon drippings
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green onion
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 6 cups water
- 3 diced tomatoes
- 4 cups sliced okra
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 2 tablespoons salt
- black pepper to taste
- Worcestershire sauce to taste
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 2 pounds sliced Italian sausage
- 2 pounds cubed chicken
- 2 pounds peeled shrimp
Prep: 1 hour | Cook: 4 hours
- In a 6-quart stockpot, add the flour and oil. Over high heat, cook the oil and flour until you have a dark, rich roux, about the colour of peanut butter. Scrape the bottom of the pan with a wooden spatula to ensure no sticking (Watch closely to make sure the roux does not burn, this will ruin the gumbo).
- Sauté the onions, celery, green pepper, and garlic in the roux until limp.
- Dissolve the bouillon cubes in the water and gradually add to the pot.
- Add the tomatoes and okra. Simmer, covered about 3 hours.
- Add the seasonings and meat and simmer for another hour.
- In the meantime, cook the rice and warm the bread!