- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 head green cabbage (1½ to 2 pounds), cored and thinly sliced
- 3/4 pound russet potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds
- ½ pound sliced corned beef
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- Salt and pepper
- 3/4 cup crushed potato chips (about 2 ounces)
Prep: 30 mins | Cook: 25 mins
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. In a large skillet, melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium-high heat.
- Heat 1 tablespoon butter in a skillet over medium heat, then stir in 1/2 head cabbage, half of of the potatoes, and half of the caraway seeds. Sauté for about 5 minutes until cabbage is wilted.
- Pour Sauté ed cabbage and potatoes into a 13×9-inch baking dish, layer half of the corned beef on top, then cook remaining cabbage, potatoes, and caraway in the same manner and repeat the layers.
- Make a white sauce: melt remaining 4 tablespoons of butter in a saucepan over medium heat, then add flour and stir to cook for about 2 minutes. Slowly pour in the milk, then continue to cook and stir until the sauce is thick. This will take about 7 minutes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Drizzle the casserole with the white sauce, then distribute the crushed chips on top. Place in oven. Bake for 25 minutes to heat through.