- 4 ears corn, husked
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and diced
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, chopped, or 2 pounds’ fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 2 potatoes, peeled and diced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 3 ounces grated smoked cheese, Cheddar or mozzarella
Prep: 10 mins | Cook: 1 hour
- Preheat grill to High.
- Grill corn for about 10 minutes, until it’s browned and cooked. Turn often while grilling. Remove from heat and let the corn cool down, then cut the grilled corn off the cob. Place corn in a big bowl.
- Heat olive oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add onions, garlic, and bell peppers to hot oil, cooking for about 10 minutes to become tender. Then, add red pepper flakes and cumin. Stir all to combine.
- Pour in the stock and chopped tomatoes and stir, then let the mixture come to a boil. Reduce heat to low and let it simmer for 15 minutes, then remove from heat and puree with an immersion blender (or puree in batches in a food processor or blender).
- Place the pureed soup back over medium heat. While it returns to a low boil, add the potatoes and stir. They’ll need to cook for about 15 minutes, then add the corn and simmer everything for another 5 minutes until potatoes are completely cooked through.
- Salt and pepper the soup to your taste, then serve garnished with cilantro and cheese.