- 2 cupsbuttermilk
- 4 poundschicken wings, rinsed and jointed
- peanut oil for frying
- 3 cupsall-purpose flour
- 1 cupcrushed saltine crackers
- 1 teaspoonblack pepper
- 1 teaspoondried thyme
- 1/4 teaspooncayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoonsalt
- 1/2 teaspoongarlic powder
Prep: 30 mins | Cook: 10 mins
- Mix eggs in a bowl, and whisk in the buttermilk until smooth. Mix in the chicken wings, cover, and refrigerate at least 30 minutes.
- Heat the peanut oil in a deep skillet or deep fryer to 350 degrees F. Combine the remaining ingredients in a large mixing bowl until evenly blended.
- Remove each chicken wing, letting the buttermilk mixture drip off. Pack in the breading, then gently shake off any excess breading. Repeat to coat all the chicken wings.
- Fry in batches in the hot oil until the meat is no longer pink at the bone and the breading is crispy, about 10 minutes. Turn the wings frequently to ensure even cooking. Drain on a paper towel-lined plate. Sprinkle with additional salt to taste, and serve.
For buffalo wings, same procedure as above only immediately after removing from oil, place in large sealable container with wing sauce and shake to coat wings.