- 8 oz can tomato sauce (Heinz garlic/oregano)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground oregano (Mexican oregano if available)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons crushed red pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 6 medium tomatoes
- 3-4 jalapeños
- 8 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves
- 8 cloves garlic
- 1/2 bunch green onions
- 1 medium white sweet onion
Prep: 45 mins | Extra time: 1 hour, chilling
- Dump the tomato sauce, oregano, red pepper, cumin, salt and water into a large mixing bowl. Stir until well blended.
- Rinse the tomatoes and remove the stems. Cut 3 of the tomatoes into quarters and place in a food processor. Set the rest aside.
- Rinse the jalapeños and remove the stems. Place 2 of the jalapeños into the food processor.
- Rinse the cilantro, remove the leaves from the stems (some smaller stems are OK) and place in the food processor.
- Peel & rinse the garlic and place in the food processor.
- Rinse the green onions, chop in half and place in the food processor.
- Run the food processor at medium speed until all of the veggies are liquefied making a thick paste. Add the tomato sauce mixture from step 1 to the food processor and run until well mixed. Pour entire mixture back into your mixing bowl.
- Coarsely dice the remaining tomatoes, jalapeños and the onion and add to the mixing bowl, stirring until well combined.
- Taste it! You may need to add a bit more salt or cumin to suit your tastes.
- Cover and place in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour to allow the flavours to blend together.