1 1/2 to 2 pounds flat iron steak (or top round)
1 1/2 tablespoons seasoned salt (or a salty BBQ rub)
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup dark beer
1 egg, beaten
1 tablespoon hot sauce (I use Frank’s® Red Hot® or Crystal)
Prep: 15 mins | Cook: 15 mins | Extra time: 4 hours, freezing
- Note: If you’re using round steak, tenderize it with a meat mallet first.
- Season each side of the steak with a teaspoon of the seasoned salt/BBQ rub.
- Combine the flour, the remaining seasoned salt/BBQ rub, and pepper in a small bowl and mix well.
- Combine the the buttermilk, beer, egg and hot sauce in another bowl and whisk to combine.
- Cut the steak into half-inch wide strips that are about three or four inches long.
- Dredge the steak strips in the flour mixture, then into the egg batter, then back into the flour.
- Put the battered strips in a flat rimmed container pan and freeze for 4 hours or so. This really helps keep the batter intact when you fry them.
- Deep fry the frozen steaks at 350º degrees until golden brown.
- Serve with French fries (of course) and cocktail or BBQ sauce for dipping. Enjoy!
Fry in small batches (5-7 at a time) and keep them warm in a 175º oven on a rack in a sheet pan