- 5 pounds chicken thighs, boned and cubed
- 1 (32 ounce) bottle vegetable oil
- 15 eggs, beaten
- 2 1/2 cups plus 10 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 10 tablespoons rice wine
- 1 cup sugar
- 25 dried chili pods
- 1/2 cup sesame seeds, optional
Prep: 15 mins | Cook: 35 mins
- Whisk together 2 1/2 cups cornstarch and eggs in a shallow dish. Coat the chicken with the cornstarch mixture.
- Heat the oil in a wok over medium heat or deep fryer set to Medium. Fry the coated chicken in the oil until golden brown and cooked through, about 5 minutes for each batch.
- Let the fried chicken pieces drain on some paper towels.
- Now make the sauce by combining 10 teaspoons cornstarch, soy sauce, rice vinegar, rice wine, and sugar in a mixing bowl.
- Next, add some chili pods to a fresh wok with some additional oil and cook them on low heat to release their aroma, about 3 minutes.
- Turn the heat onto high and add the fried chicken pieces. Allow them to reheat and crisp up, I like them very crispy. Make sure not to burn the chili pods. If they begin to then remove them.
- Once crispy, add the sauce and cook & toss until it is thick and bubbly, about 10 minutes. If you like, sprinkle with sesame seeds.