Makes: 1 steak
- 1 large jalapeno
- 1 filet mignon steak (or more)
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon red pepper
- 1 tablespoon white pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon meat tenderizer
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons ground sea salt
Prep: 10 mins | Cook: 15 mins
- Slice jalapeno in half lengthwise, seed it, and rub cut sides over both sides of steak.
- In a small bowl, combine remaining ingredients. Rub mixture into both sides of steak, about 1 teaspoon per side.
- Heat your gas or charcoal grill to high (Here’s how to tell if it’s high: Hold your hand about four inches above the cooking surface. After 2 to 3 seconds, the heat will force you to pull your hand away.)
- Oil the grill grate, using an oiled rag.
- Place steak on the grill. Use these cooking times to cook your steak to medium: 2 to 3 minutes per side for a 1/2-inch thick steak, 4 to 6 minutes per side for a 1-inch thick steak, 6 to 9 minutes per side for a 1 1/2 to 2-inch thick steak.
- Take the steak off the grill. Let rest 2 to 3 minutes to allow the juices to reabsorb into the steak. Serve.
Recipe makes 6 tablespoons of spice rub, enough for 9 steaks.