Makes: 1 steak
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 vanilla bean, sliced horizontally and scraped
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest (skin of the lemon, scraped off)
- 3 tablespoons steak sauce
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 flat iron steak
Prep: 5 mins | Cook: 10 mins | Extra time: 1 hour, marinating
- Mix the first six ingredients in a large, reseal able plastic bag. Shake. Season the steak with salt and pepper, then add the meat to the bag. Seal, turn to coat, and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Heat your gas or charcoal grill to high (Here’s how to tell if it’s high: Hold your hand about four inches above the cooking surface. After 2 to 3 seconds, the heat will force you to pull your hand away.)
- Oil the grill grate, using an oiled rag.
- Place the steak on the grill. Use these cooking times to cook your steak to medium: 2 to 3 minutes per side for a 1/2-inch thick steak, 4 to 6 minutes per side for a 1-inch thick steak, 6 to 9 minutes per side for a 1 1/2 to 2-inch thick steak.
- Take the steak off the grill. Let it rest 2 to 3 minutes to allow the juices to reabsorb into the steak. Serve.
Recipe makes about 1/2 cup marinade, enough for 1 pound of steak.