Makes: 1 steak
- 1 large jalapeno
- 1 Porterhouse steak (or more)
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/3 cup red wine
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce (such as Tabasco(R) or Crystal(R))
- 2 limes, juiced
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Prep: 10 mins | Cook: 15 mins | Extra time: 1 hour, marinating
- Slice jalapeno in half, seed it, then rub the steak on both sides with the cut pepper. Chop pepper finely.
- Combine the chopped jalapeno and remaining ingredients in a large plastic resealable bag. Add the steak, seal the bag, and turn to coat. Refrigerate for 1 hour to marinate.
- Heat your gas or charcoal grill to high (Here’s how to tell if it’s high: Hold your hand about four inches above the cooking surface. After 2 to 3 seconds, the heat will force you to pull your hand away.)
- Oil the grill grate, using an oiled rag.
- Remove steak from marinade and place on the grill. Use these cooking times to cook your steak to medium: 2 to 3 minutes per side for a 1/2-inch thick steak, 4 to 6 minutes per side for a 1-inch thick steak, 6 to 9 minutes per side for a 1 1/2 to 2-inch thick steak.
- Take the steak off the grill. Let rest 2 to 3 minutes to allow the juices to reabsorb into the steak. Serve.