- 2 large yellow onions, chopped
- 1 large bell pepper, chopped
- 5 single green onions, chopped
- 3 sticks celery, chopped
- 5 ounces Worcestershire sauce (Lea & Perrins(R))
- 5 1/2 cups water
- 3 tablespoons Tony Chachere’s(R) Creole Seasoning
- 4 tablespoons Kitchen Bouquet(R)
- 2 pounds pork sausage, sliced
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs (bite-size pieces)
- 3 cups rice (jasmine)
Prep: 20 mins | Cook: 2 hours
- In a seasoned cast iron pot with lid (see footnote), add yellow onions, bell pepper, green onions, and celery. Sauté veggies on medium heat until they appear slightly brown (30 minutes or so) (DO NOT ADD OIL to veggies. Use WATER to keep from sticking).
- Add Worcestershire sauce. Sprinkle Tony’s(R) over veggies and let sit for 2 minutes. Stir, then add pork sausage and stir again. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Add water, and then add Kitchen Bouquet(R). This must cook for at least 30 minutes. The longer it cooks, the better flavour your rice will have, because the rice absorbs the water.
- Add chicken, cook until done (approx. 20 minutes). Increase heat. When water comes to a boil, add rice. Stir ONCE to allow rice to settle on bottom, cover w/lid, and reduce heat to LOW. DO NOT REMOVE LID. DO NOT TOUCH. DO NOT LOOK FOR 30 MINUTES.
- After 30 minutes remove lid, all meat will be at the top, stir gently and serve. Be careful not to over stir, it will become very gummy.
Cast Iron Pot:
No oil is required when sautéing since your pot should already have oil from prior cleaning/storing.