- 2 tbspchili powder
- 2 tbspsalt
- 1 tbspgarlic powder
- 1 tbsponion powder
- 1 tbspfreshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbspsugar
- 2 tspdry mustard
- 1bay leaf, crushed
- 14-pound beef brisket, trimmed
- 1 1/2 cupbeef stock or broth
Prep: 10 mins | Cook: 4 hours
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- To make the rub, combine the chili powder, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, pepper, sugar, mustard, and bay leaf in a small bowl, and mix thoroughly.
- Season the brisket on both sides with the rub. Place in a roasting pan or Dutch oven and roast uncovered for 1 hour.
- Add the beef stock or broth and enough water so that there’s about 1/2 inch of liquid in the pan.
- Cover tightly with heavy foil (or the lid, if using a Dutch oven), decrease the oven temperature to 300 degrees F, and continue cooking for 3 hours or until fork-tender.
- Slice the meat thinly across the grain. Top with the juices from the pan.