Makes: 1 steak
- 1/4 cupbutter, softened
- 1 teaspoonchili powder
- 1/2 teaspoonDijon mustard
- 1New York strip steak (or more)
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoonground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoonsugar
Prep: 10 mins | Cook: 10 mins | Extra time: 2 mins, resting
- In a small bowl, beat the butter, chili powder, and mustard until smooth. Refrigerate until serving. Rub the steak with pepper and sugar.
- Heat your gas or charcoal grill to high (Here’s how to tell if it’s high: Hold your hand about four inches above the cooking surface. After 2 to 3 seconds, the heat will force you to pull your hand away.)
- Oil the grill grate, using an oiled rag.
- Place the steak on the grill. Use these cooking times to cook your steak to medium: 2 to 3 minutes per side for a 1/2 inch thick steak, 4 to 6 minutes per side for a 1 inch thick steak, 6 to 9 minutes per side for a 1 1/2 to 2 inch thick steak.
- Take the steak off the grill. Let it rest 2 to 3 minutes to allow the juices to reabsorb into the steak. Spoon chili butter over steak. Serve.
Recipe makes 2 1/4 teaspoons spice rub, enough for 1 steak, and just over 1/4 cup seasoned butter.