- 1 (1 pound) package dried red kidney beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can beef consommé
- 1 (10 ounce) can RoTel(R) tomatoes and green chilies
- 2 fresh Italian (Roma) tomatoes, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 bell peppers, diced (I use 1 green/1 yellow for colour)
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 4 – 6 redskin potatoes, quartered
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Tabasco sauce
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground sea salt
- 4 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano (crushed)
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 pound Italian sausage, angle cut 1/2 inch thick
- 1 pound Cajun style sausage, angle cut 1/2 inch thick
- 3 -4 cups boiled white rice (cooked separately)
Prep: 12 hours | Cook: 6 hours
- Soak beans overnight (I warned you). Drain beans, then return hydrated beans to crock pot. Add beef consommé, then add enough water to cover beans by about 2 inches. Add, and mix in, all ingredients. Turn crock put on high until mixture begins to boil, about 30 minutes.
- Let mixture boil for about two hours, then reduce heat to lowest setting and simmer until all ingredients such as potatoes and peppers are tender. This may take several hours.
- When beans are nearing completion, wash and cook rice.
In a large (6 qt) crock pot, this recipe can be doubled, to provide wonderful left-overs.