Adrafinil’s prime function is to enhance and promote wakefulness and alertness. However it is currently unregulated in the USA and can be purchased privately. It is powerful, and may produce unpleasant side-effects, so it is not the safest option. However review seem to promote it’s effectiveness.
What does Adrafinil do?
- Increases levels of the neurotransmitter Dopamine
- Helps you stay awake
- Increases your alertness
- Enhances the ability to focus
Although the exact method of action of Adrafinil is not entirely clear, there are some popular theories to its effects. One popular theory suggests that it increases the brain neurotransmitter, hypocretin. Hyprocretin helps promote wakefulness, arousal and appetite. Increasing the level of hypocretin in the hypothalamus is thought to increase the levels of dopamine, norepinephrine and histamine. The increase of these three chemicals in the hypothalamus is thought to be the main nootropic action of Adrafinil and Modafinil. There is another possible method of action of Adrafinil that is less popular than the above mentioned theory. The theory suggests that Adrafinil and Modafinil activate the glutamate pathways and inhibit the GABAeric ones. This would lead to increased alertness and wakefulness.
- Bulk deals are not the best value for money.
- Can influence liver functions, therefore it is imperative you do not use if suffering from any hepatic problems.
- May produce several after-effects – some of them severe.
- Do not use if breastfeeding / pregnant.
- May be addictive to some.
Tread carefully. The potential for several nasty side-effects (including chest pain, vomiting and hallucinations) are too great to justify its benefits.