Pro Jym Overview
Pro Jym is arguably the best protein powder on the market. This is because it optimizes performance with a no caffeine formula, meaning they are also very few side effects. On top of this, it is made and manufactured by Onnit. Onnit are a well established supplement company with several endorsements, meaning they can also be trusted to make an effective safe supplement.
What does Pro Jym do?
Synthetic compounds can be effective for the short term. But the body as a biological machine evolved to process food-sourced nutrients, and so the closer we are able to stick to the blueprints, the more holistic the performance optimization will be. Total Strength + Performance breaks the mould on pre-workout formulas, steering clear of the chemicals and stimulants that flood the market with quick pumps and highs. Our ingredients like Longjack, Beta-Alanine, and Luteolin are easily recognized and utilized by the body. The old era of performance supplementation is fading, and athletes who utilize an Earth grown nutrient approach are seizing the opportunity for greater performance and long term performance sustainability.
- Slightly overpriced.
- Too many herbal ingredients.
By far the best protein I have used. Both Tahitian Vanilla Bean and Chocolate Peanut Butter taste amazing. There is absolutely no artificial or chalky taste like many other proteins, and I have seen great results on this protein. The one thing that I would mention is that because this is a mix of proteins, including casein, a slower digesting protein, it was a little harsh on my stomach at first. However, I started to take a probiotic and that helped immensely and now I have no problems at all with this protein, it is a game changer!
I have not tried any other flavor of the JYM brand but the Tahitian Vanilla Bean is amazing, definitely worth the (5) stars. With this protein powder I do not need to mix it with anything other than water & it is perfect! With other protein powders that I have tried they have always upset my stomach after drinking but this one has not & I am almost finished with the (4lbs) *Will be purchasing again* I would definitely recommend the Tahitian Vanilla Bean flavor to whoever wants to give the JYM brand a try!
“By far the best protein I have used. Both Tahitian Vanilla Bean and Chocolate Peanut Butter taste amazing. There is absolutely no artificial or chalky taste like many other proteins, and I have seen great results on this protein. The one thing that I would mention is that because this is a mix of proteins, including casein, a slower digesting protein, it was a little harsh on my stomach at first. However, I started to take a probiotic and that helped immensely and now I have no problems at all with this protein, it is a game changer!”
How can I mix the perfect Pro Jym shake?
The amount of water you mix is not as fixed as it is with other supplements, it is more about personal preference here. If you would like a really thick shake you should mix one scoop of Pro Jym with 4-6 oz of water, however if you would like it thinner, just add more water. However, you should note that if you are taking more than one scoop of Pro Jym you will have to up the water content in proportion. For example if you are using two scoops instead of one, you should be adding around 8-12 oz of water.
When should you have your Pro Jym shake?
Usually it is a good idea to drink two scoops (50-60 grams of protein) of Pro Jym 30-45 minutes before your workout. There is some leeway though, some athletes choose to mix it with their pre-workout supplement and then down it just before their workout. WE recommend that if you choose to do this, you are aware of all the ingredients and have asked a health care professional before doing so. This is because mixing supplements can cause side effects.
How can I maximize Pro Jym’s effectiveness?
Since Pro Jym provides a healthy amount of calcium (400 mg) it is a good idea to take some vitamin D3 with it as this can enhance your body’s ability to utilize the calcium more effectively.
What's in Pro Jym
- Mucuna Pruriens seed extract – helps the body provide support to the dopamine system in the brain.
- Longjack root extract – Longjack is a flowering plant native SE Asia. It has been shown to help the body restore optimal testosterone levels in aging males.
- Nettle root extract – good for fibre, and may assist the body with optimizing the level of androgens, including free testosterone and DHT.
- Red clover flower extract – Eurasian herb used for nutrient values. Can help the body balance out any disruptive hormonal fluctuations.
- Luteolin – found naturally in celery, lemons, peppermint, oregano and a handful of other herbs. Acts as an antioxidant and general anti-inflammatory for non-medical conditions.
- Beta Alanine – Beta-alanine is a non-essential amino acid found naturally in foods. Helps maintain an optimal pH level in the blood.
- BCAA Amino blend.
- Aspartic Acid.
- Resveratrol – a polyphenol found in berries and cacao, providing great taste and shows potential as a helpful agent in certain types of weight management.
- BioPerine (Black Pepper Extract)® – shown in clinical research to promote increased absorption of nutrients in supplement formulations.
- Vitamin B6.
- Pantothenic Acid (Vitamin B-5)
Protein Blend comprising
- Whey Protein Isolate – One of two proteins found in milk and other dairy proteins (the other being casein). Whey protein is a common component in protein powders. It is absorbed much quicker than other proteins, and delivers a large amount of the amino acid L-cysteine. Consuming more protein often leads to fat loss, which is a feature of protein consumption rather than whey specifically. Crucially, whey protein appears to increase the synthesis of muscle protein to a higher level than other proteins.
- Micellar Casein – The second protein present in milk, casein delivers on muscle protein synthesis, although not to the same degree as whey protein. However, casein decrease body fat mass and increases lean body mass to a greater extent than hydrolyzed whey [R.H Demling, L DeSanti, Effect of a hypocaloric diet, increased protein intake and resistance training on lean mass gains and fat mass loss in overweight police officers, Ann Nutr Metab, 2000; 44:21]. An early study in the mid 1990s found that postprandial [“after a meal”] whole body protein synthesis was increased 68% after ingestion of whey protein, but only 31% after ingestion of casein. This supports the statement that whey is more effective than casein when it comes to synthesising proteins. That said, the combination of whey and casein is beneficial.
- Egg Protein – Fifteen grams of egg white protein contain 1,341 mg of leucine, 837 mg of isoleucine), and 1,096 mg of valine. Furthermore, there is no doubting the benefits of consuming egg whites to boost muscle mass; indeed, data showed that leucine induces a maximal skeletal muscle protein anabolic response in young adults, which suggests that leucine-rich egg white protein intake might have an important effect on body mass growth.
Lecithin is a purified substance called phosphatidyl choline (PC), which belongs to a category of fat-soluble substances called phospholipids. Lecithin is converted into acetylcholine, a substance that transmits nerve impulses, so whilst it may not have a direct effect on muscle growth in protein powders, lecithin may be useful for general health.
An artificial sweetener and sugar substitute
A great product to increase performance prior to a strenuous workout. The flavour is spot-on, and its power to aid recovery is phenomenal. Perhaps too many herbal ingredients, though, and a tad pricey, but apart from these grumbles this product hits the spot.
Debating why you should be taking protein, take a look at our 5 reason why you should be using protein powder.