Total Strength and Performance Overview
Onnit Total Strength and Performance is an interesting pre-workout as it doesn’t contain caffeine. Despite this, studies have shown it to improve strength in athletes over 4 weeks better than a placebo. Although it is a little bit expensive, it contains BCAA’s and no artificial ingredients. Onnit are a trusted Texan company with several endorsements, so you can expect to pay this kind of price for one of their products.
What does Total Strength and Performance do?
- Optimize favourable hormone balance.
- Improve athletic performance.
- Increase strength and power.
- Assist with muscle recovery.
Synthetic compounds can be effective for the short term. But the body as a biological machine evolved to process food-sourced nutrients, and so the closer we are able to stick to the blueprints, the more holistic the performance optimization will be. Total Strength + Performance breaks the mould on pre-workout formulas, steering clear of the chemicals and stimulants that flood the market with quick pumps and highs. Our ingredients like Longjack, Beta-Alanine, and Luteolin are easily recognized and utilized by the body. The old era of performance supplementation is fading, and athletes who utilize an Earth grown nutrient approach are seizing the opportunity for greater performance and long term performance sustainability.
- Slightly overpriced.
- Too many herbal ingredients.
“First of all, this stuff really doesn’t taste bad at all. If you can’t pull yourself together to drink 1-2 scoops of this stuff then just mix it with another fruit/melon flavoured drink and stop leaving bad reviews. I only take this stuff for a few weeks leading up to competition (Jiu jitsu) and it definitely makes a difference in my training. This is another great product by Onnit.”
“This product is a non-stimulant pre-workout so you will not get a big tingling pump like you do when taking high sugar and caffeine pre-workouts. I took this product expecting that; however my lifts have been a lot harder. Yesterday I hit legs hard and would be sore for at least three days and I woke up not sore at all. Great for recovery, would recommend to all athletes.”
“I have used this product several times, and it seems to work pretty well. As with most Onnit products they work well but are pricey. Taste takes some getting used to, but if you choke it down fast you are all set. It’s worth it for most people to at least try it out. I find it to be one of the higher quality test boosters.”
“By far my favourite pre-workout supplement. I am not sure about it increasing my testosterone but every cycle time I use it I increase my weights and/or reps. It does not mix well and the taste is OK but what is important is I get results.”
What's in Total Strength and Performance
- Mucuna Pruriens seed extract – helps the body provide support to the dopamine system in the brain.
- Longjack root extract – Longjack is a flowering plant native SE Asia. It has been shown to help the body restore optimal testosterone levels in aging males.
- Nettle root extract – good for fibre, and may assist the body with optimizing the level of androgens, including free testosterone and DHT.
- Red clover flower extract – Eurasian herb used for nutrient values. Can help the body balance out any disruptive hormonal fluctuations.
- Luteolin – found naturally in celery, lemons, peppermint, oregano and a handful of other herbs. Acts as an antioxidant and general anti-inflammatory for non-medical conditions.
- Beta Alanine – Beta-alanine is a non-essential amino acid found naturally in foods. Helps maintain an optimal pH level in the blood.
- BCAA Amino blend.
- Aspartic Acid.
- Resveratrol – a polyphenol found in berries and cacao, providing great taste and shows potential as a helpful agent in certain types of weight management.
- BioPerine (Black Pepper Extract)® – shown in clinical research to promote increased absorption of nutrients in supplement formulations.
- Vitamin B6.
- Pantothenic Acid (Vitamin B-5).
A great product to increase performance prior to a strenuous workout. The flavour is spot-on, and its power to aid recovery is phenomenol. Perhaps too many herbal ingredients, though, and a tad pricey, but apart from these grumbles this product hits the spot.