- cooking spray or olive oil
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 4 carrots, sliced thick
- 2 cups low sodium, fat free chicken broth
- 5 cups tomato sauce
- 2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cup red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cup white kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup canned corn
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 2 tbsp oregano
- 2 tbsp basil
- 1/2 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp black pepper
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage
- 2 tbsp crushed red pepper
- 2 cups rotini or seashell pasta, cooked
Prep: 30 mins | Cook: 1 hour 20 mins
- Coat the bottom of a large pot with cooking spray or olive oil and allow to heat. Add garlic, onion, celery, and carrots and sauté for 6 to 7 minutes or until onions are soft.
- Add chicken broth, tomato sauce, and water and bring to a boil. Then reduce heat to medium low and add remaining vegetables, oregano, basil, salt and pepper. Allow to simmer.
- Cut up sausage into small bite-sized pieces and fry with crushed red pepper until fully cooked. Then, add to vegetables. Continue to simmer, stirring occasionally, for one hour. Add pasta and cook for an additional 10 minutes.