- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 pound beef stew meat, chopped
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 cup pearl barley
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Prep: 10 mins | Cook: 8 hours
- Heat oil in the bottom of a large saucepan to medium heat. Add the garlic and onions, and cook until opaque. Remove garlic and onions; reserve on a plate.
- Raise heat up to high/medium-high, then sear the beef in the remaining oil. Transfer to slow cooker and add the onions, beef stock, barley, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours, adding more stock if needed.
Cook the stew on HIGH for about 4 hours.
To thicken the stew, combine 2 tablespoons of cornstarch and 2 tablespoons of cold water in a small bowl. Slowly stir cornstarch mixture into stew with slow cooker set to HIGH, then repeat until desired thickness is reached.