- Spice Rub:
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons sweet paprika
- 1 tablespoon fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 2 racks back ribs, membranes removed
- 1/2 cup apple wood chips, soaked in water for 1 hour
- 1/2 cup apple cider
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
Prep: 20 mins | Cook: 4 hours
- In a bowl, toss sugar, paprika, peppers, onion powder, kosher salt, garlic powder, and celery seed. Spread over ribs on all sides.
- Preheat grill to 250 degrees F for indirect cooking. Put 1/3 of the wood chips into grill’s smoke box. Place ribs bone side down on the grill and cook over indirect heat for 3 hours, misting with apple cider after ribs have cooked for 90 minutes. (Thereafter, mist the ribs with cider every 3 minutes.) Replenish smoke box with wood chips every now and then.
- Place each rack of ribs on a large stretch of aluminium foil, splash with cider, and seal the foil around the meat. Wrap again in a second layer of foil. Place packets on grill for 1 hour.
- Make the glaze: stir ketchup, water, vinegar, Worcestershire, sugar, honey, celery seed, salt, chili powder, and hot sauce together in a saucepan and bring to boil over medium heat. Simmer for 10 minutes to thicken.
- Unwrap ribs, brush with glaze, and grill for 10 more minutes.